The Meaning Behind The Song: A Full Time Job by Eddy Arnold
Eddy Arnold, a legendary American country music artist, released the song “A Full Time Job” in 1952. The song quickly became a hit, reaching the top of the charts and resonating with many listeners. In this article, we will explore the meaning behind this influential song, its significance in Eddy Arnold’s career, and its impact on the country music genre.
The Story Behind the Song
Eddy Arnold’s “A Full Time Job” was written by Jack Clement and recorded at RCA Victor’s Studio in Nashville, Tennessee. The song tells the story of a hardworking individual who finds love after completing their day job. The lyrics convey a sense of joy and fulfillment that comes from finding romance and companionship.
The Universal Struggle for Work-Life Balance
One reason why “A Full Time Job” resonated with listeners is the relatable theme of balancing work and personal life. In the 1950s, the concept of a “full-time job” was deeply ingrained in society, and many individuals struggled with finding time for love and happiness while prioritizing their careers. The song’s message struck a chord with countless individuals who faced similar dilemmas in their daily lives.
Eddy Arnold’s Interpretation
Eddy Arnold’s heartfelt and genuine delivery of “A Full Time Job” added depth and relatability to the song. His smooth and distinctive voice conveyed both the satisfaction of hard work and the euphoria of finding love. Arnold’s interpretation resonated with the listeners, making the song an instant classic.
Impact on Eddy Arnold’s Career
“A Full Time Job” became one of Eddy Arnold’s biggest hits, solidifying his status as a leading country music artist of his time. The song catapulted him to further success, and Arnold went on to release several more chart-topping singles. The success of “A Full Time Job” not only contributed to Arnold’s career growth but also solidified his position as a beloved artist within the genre.
Influence on Country Music
The success of “A Full Time Job” had a significant impact on the country music genre. The song’s catchy melody and relatable lyrics set a standard for future country hits. It showcased the appeal of incorporating storytelling and relatable themes into country songs, a stylistic approach that became signature to the genre. “A Full Time Job” paved the way for numerous country artists who sought to create music that resonated with a wide audience.
FAQs about “A Full Time Job”
1. Who wrote “A Full Time Job”?
– “A Full Time Job” was written by Jack Clement.
2. When was “A Full Time Job” released?
– Eddy Arnold’s recording of “A Full Time Job” was released in 1952.
3. Did “A Full Time Job” reach the top of any music charts?
– Yes, the song topped the charts and became one of Arnold’s biggest hits.
4. What is the message behind “A Full Time Job”?
– The song portrays the joy and fulfillment that comes from finding love after a hard day’s work.
5. How did Eddy Arnold interpret the song?
– Eddy Arnold’s heartfelt delivery of the song added a sense of genuineness and relatability to its lyrics.
6. Did “A Full Time Job” contribute to Arnold’s career success?
– Yes, the song became one of Arnold’s most successful releases and further boosted his career.
7. What impact did “A Full Time Job” have on country music?
– The song set a standard for future country hits, showcasing the appeal of relatable themes and storytelling in the genre.
8. Can “A Full Time Job” still be considered relevant today?
– Absolutely! The theme of balancing work and personal life remains relatable in modern times.
9. Did “A Full Time Job” inspire any other country artists?
– The success of the song likely inspired numerous artists to create music with relatable themes and storytelling elements.
10. Does Eddy Arnold have any other notable songs?
– Yes, Eddy Arnold is known for multiple hits, including “Make The World Go Away” and “Cattle Call.”
11. How long did Eddy Arnold’s career span?
– Eddy Arnold’s career spanned over seven decades, making him one of the longest-reigning figures in country music history.
12. Have any other artists covered “A Full Time Job”?
– Yes, various artists have covered the song over the years, paying homage to Arnold’s iconic recording.
“A Full Time Job” by Eddy Arnold remains a beloved and influential song in the country music genre. Its relatable themes, heartfelt interpretation, and impact on Eddy Arnold’s career solidify its significance. This timeless classic continues to resonate with audiences, reminding us of the universal struggle for work-life balance and the joy of finding love amidst our daily routines.