Skullcandy makes some great products, especially their earbuds. They’re sleek, comfortable, have great features, and have good battery life. And, above all, they sound fantastic.
Like all electronics, though, Skullcandy earbuds can have their problems. One of the most talked about issues online has been that Skullcandy earbuds one side not working. After experiencing this problem a week ago, I decided to look into the causes and possible solutions.
In this article…
I’ll be examining why one Skullcandy earbud is not working as well as looking at some of the best solutions for the problem.
There are three main reasons why only one Skullcandy Earbuds is working. The first and most common is a pairing and/or connection problem. The second has to do with your battery, and the third is a hardware fault or malfunction.
Before You Do Anything
Most Skullcandy wireless earbuds are equipped with a quick re-pair function. So, before doing anything else, it is always a good idea to perform a re-pair.
However, the procedure may vary depending on the model of earbuds that you have. So, here are the steps on how to re-pair different Skullcandy products.
Skullcandy Grind / Grind Fuel / Skullcandy Push Active / Skullcandy Mod
- Start by removing/forgetting your Skullcandy device on any source device you wish to pair it with (smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc.).
- Deactivate the Bluetooth connection on your devices.
- Remove the Skullcandy earbuds from their charging case. Make sure that both earbuds are powered on.
- Press the small button on the back of each of the earbuds simultaneously, three times.
- The Skullcandy earbuds will flash blue five times to indicate that the re-sync was successful.
- Return to your source device, activate the Bluetooth connection, and re-pair with your Skullcandy earbuds when they pop up on the available devices list.
- Open the Bluetooth settings on your source device. Forget/remove your Skullcandy earbuds from the paired devices list.
- Turn off the Bluetooth connection on your device.
- Remove both Skullcandy earbuds from the charging case and ensure that they are turned on.
- Tap the buttons on the back of each earbud four times to initiate the re-sync process.
- The LED indicators on the earbuds will begin to flash red and blue.
- When they start flashing only blue, you know that the process is finished. You can now re-pair them to your source device.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your source device. Look for your Skullcandy earbuds among the available devices list.
Skullcandy Indy Evo / Skullcandy Sesh Evo / Skullcandy Dime
- Ensure that your Skullcandy earbuds have been forgotten or removed from your source device (smartphone, smartwatch, tablet, etc.).
- Turn off Bluetooth on your source device.
- Remove both the Skullcandy earbuds from their charging case.
- Wait a few moments, then place both earbuds back in the charging case.
- Make sure that both indicators for the earbuds are red.
- Remove the earbuds from the case again. They will now automatically be in pairing mode.
- Return to your source device, open the Bluetooth settings, and turn on Bluetooth. Wait for the Skullcandy earbuds to pop up on the list of available devices. Tap on them to initiate the pairing process.
If you have tried the above and are still experiencing the same problem, then it’s time to look at some more causes and fixes for one Skullcandy earbud not working.
Perform a Reset on Your Earbuds
Performing a reset, sometimes referred to as a “factory reset,” places the device back into the state it was in the day it shipped from the factory. This is a great way to get rid of bugs and glitches in devices like smartphones and earbuds.
Depending on your model, the process may vary a bit. So, I’ve provided instructions for most models, just find the one that applies to your earbuds and follow the steps.
Grind / Grind Fuel / Skullcandy Push Active / Skullcandy Mod
- Disconnect and remove your Skullcandy earbuds from your source device (smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc.).
- Turn off the Bluetooth connection on your source device.
- Remove both Skullcandy earbuds from the charging case.
- Press and hold the small button on the back of the right earbud for three seconds.
- If you have the earbud in your ear, you will hear an audio prompt when the reset has been completed. There will also be a flashing purple LED indicator.
- Once the reset has been completed, the purple light will change to blue lights flashing on both earbuds. This indicates that they are in pairing mode.
- Return to your source device and turn on the Bluetooth connection. Then look for your Skullcandy earbuds on the available devices list. Tap on them to initiate pairing.
Important note about Skullcandy earbuds one side not working…
For the models above, the right earbud is the one that initiates the connection. Therefore, if the left earbud is not taken out of the charging case, it will not be picked up, and the reset will be incomplete.
Indy / Indy Evo / Sesh Evo / Skullcandy Jib
- Disconnect your earbuds from the source device, and forget/remove the Skullcandy earbuds from the list of paired devices.
- Turn off Bluetooth on the source device.
- Remove both Skullcandy earbuds from the charging case and turn them off. Do this by pressing and holding the button on the back of the earbuds for six seconds.
- With both earbuds turned off, press and hold the button on one of the earbuds for ten seconds and then place it back in the charging case.
- Press and hold the button on the back of the second earbud for three seconds and place it back in the charging case.
- Remove both earbuds from the charging case; they should automatically go into pairing mode.
- Return to your source device and turn on Bluetooth. Then tap on the Skullcandy earbuds when they appear on the list of available devices to initiate pairing.
- Disconnect your Skullcandy earbuds from your source device and remove/forget the earbuds from the list of available Bluetooth devices.
- Deactivate the Bluetooth connection on your source device.
- Remove both the Skullcandy earbuds from the charging case and make sure that they are both turned on.
- Double tap and then hold the button on the back of each earbud for two seconds.
- Wait a few moments, the reset should now be complete, and they will automatically go into pairing mode.
- Pairing mode will be indicated by the left earbud flashing red and blue.
- Return to your source device and activate Bluetooth. Now, select your Skullcandy earbuds when they appear on the list of available devices to initiate pairing.
Make Sure Both Earbuds Are Charging Properly
While the most common reason for one Skullcandy earbud not working is the connection, however, battery and changing problems have also been found to be the cause.
For the earbuds to charge properly, there needs to be solid contact between the metal contact point located on the earbuds and inside the case. If one or both of your earbuds are not charging properly when you place them in the case, the lack of contact between these two points is the most likely cause.
The lack of contact can be due to dirt and dust obscuring the metal parts or the earbuds not being placed inside the case properly.
What to Do If One Skullcandy Earbud is Not Charging Properly
This issue is more common than you might think. Make sure that when you place your earbuds inside the case, the red light comes on. If the light does not come on, it means that the earbuds are not charging.
The most common fix for this issue is to leave your earbuds turned on and outside the case for at least two hours. This will completely drain the battery. Once you are sure that the battery is completely drained from both earbuds, place them in the case to see if they charge.
Another reason for this problem might not be that the charging case lid is not closing properly. This often happens because of dirt or grime obscuring the small connectors that make the lid go click. It can also be caused by incorrect placement of the earbuds.
Update the Firmware on Your Earbuds
Skullcandy is one of the leading wireless audio manufacturers in the world. One reason for their success is the good software that backs up their excellent hardware.
Every so often…
The company will release firmware updates for some or all of their earbuds. These updates often contain crucial fixes and updates for bugs that make using the product so much easier.
Your model may suffer from a bug that makes one earbud drop out. So, if you have tried everything so far without success, then performing a firmware update might be your last resort.
Download the Skullcandy app on your source device to check if your need a firmware update. If so, perform the update, then do a reset, re-pair, and see if the problem has been fixed.
Are You a Fan of Skullcandy Products?
If so, take a look at our detailed Skullcandy Riff Review, our Skullcandy Crusher Wireless Review, our Skullcandy Crusher ANC Review, our Skullcandy Push Ultra Review, and our Skullcandy Hesh 3 Wireless Review for great items you can buy in 2023.
Also, check out our in-depth Skullcandy Sesh True Wireless Review, our Skullcandy Push Active Review, our Skullcandy Push True Wireless Review, our Skullcandy Indy True Wireless Review, and our Skullcandy Crusher Evo Over-Ear Headphones Review for more items currently on the market.
Skullcandy Earbuds One Side Not Working – Final Thoughts
Whether you have a new pair or an old pair that started giving you trouble, don’t give up on our Skullcandy earbuds just yet.
Make sure to do a reset and re-pair. Then, check for firmware updates. If that doesn’t work, check that they are charging properly, and you should find a solution to the problem.
Until next time, happy listening.