Wireless technology has come a long way since its inception. We are now at a point where we cannot imagine our lives without it. And few examples of this are as prominent as wireless earbuds, which have added a level of convenience and freedom to our listening experience.
The options available range from budget pairs to premium, noise-canceling earbuds that have up to six microphones. One of the more premium options currently available is the 1000XM4 from Sony. They offer fantastic sound quality, noise cancellation, good battery life, and a superb fit.
If you’re planning on getting a pair of these earbuds, you might be wondering about how to pair Sony WF-1000XM4 earbuds. Well, that’s why I decided to take a look at the ins and outs of pairing Sony WF-1000XM4 wireless earphones to most operating systems.
Getting the Sony WF-1000XM4s in Pairing Mode
The Sony WF-1000XM4s have the same auto-connect functionality that you’ll find on most wireless earphones.
When you connect the earbuds to a device for the first time, you’ll have to establish the connection manually. After the initial pairing, all you’ll need to do to connect them from then on is to remove them from the case.
To pair your Sony WF-1000XM4s to a source device, start by taking both earbuds out of the case and placing them in your ears. Hold down the touch buttons on both earbuds for five seconds until the beep sounds in your ears.
This beep indicates that the earbuds are in pairing mode. Open the Bluetooth settings on your source device and select the Sony 1000XM4s from the list of available devices. Your earbuds should now be paired to your device.
Pairing Sony WF-1000XM4 with Android Devices
Currently, Android 12 OS is the newest stable version. That said, the following steps can be applied to older Android versions.
- Power on the Android device and open the Settings app. Usually, this is indicated by a gear icon. If you struggle to find the app, you can use the phone’s search function to search for settings, and the icon will appear.
- Scroll down the list of settings until you reach the Bluetooth section, and tap on it. Here you can activate or deactivate the Bluetooth for your device, make sure the toggle is in the on position. You will see a list of available devices.
- Open the charging case, take out the earbuds, and place them in your ears. If it is the first time connecting the earbuds to the source device, then they will automatically go into pairing mode when you remove them from the case.
- Hold down the touch buttons on each earbud for five seconds. You will know it has been done correctly when you hear the beep. Go back to the list of available Bluetooth devices on your source device; your Sony XM4s should show up on the list. Tap on them, and the pairing process will be initiated.
If you are having trouble pairing the Sony WF-1000XM4 to an Android device, make sure that your Android device is not in Airplane mode. This setting will disable Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity.
The next thing to check would be the distance between the device and the earbuds. Make sure that they are within 30 feet of one another.
Pairing Sony WF-1000XM4 with iOS devices
You may already know that iPhones and the iPod Touch run on Apple’s iOS, while the iPad runs on iPadOS. There are differences between the two. Luckily, when it comes to pairing Bluetooth devices, they are the same. So, the following instructions can be applied to both devices.
- Open the setting app; it will be a grey icon with some gears inside it. If you have trouble locating the icon, simply swipe down with one finger anywhere on the home screen, and you will open Spotlight, the OS’s search function. Type “settings” into the search bar, and the grey icon should appear.
- Scroll down through the settings until you locate the Bluetooth section, and tap it to open. Make sure that the Bluetooth toggle is in the active position.
- Take both earbuds out of the charging case and place them in your ears. Hold down the touch controls on both earbuds for five seconds. This can be done simultaneously or one at a time, depending on your preference. Wait for the beep to sound.
- Return to the Bluetooth settings page on your source device and select the Sony WF-1000XM4 from the list of available devices. The rest should be taken care of automatically.
Once again, if you are having problems pairing Sony earbuds to an iOS device, make sure that the Airplane mode is not turned on. Also, make sure that the two devices are within a connection range of 30ft.
Pairing Sony WF-1000XM4s with macOS Devices
That about covers how to pair Sony WF-1000XM4 with different mobile devices. Now, let’s look at how to pair the Sony WF-1000XM4 with a laptop or computer. We will start with macOS machines.
- Power on the computer/laptop and log in to your user account. Open the System Preferences app by clicking on the gear icon on the dock. If you can’t find the icon on your dock, then you can open it by using the finder. Simply click on finder at the top of the screen and type “system” in the search bar. System Preferences should appear; click to open.
- Once you’ve opened the System Preferences screen, look for the Bluetooth icon and click on it to open the Bluetooth settings page. Make sure that the device’s Bluetooth toggle is in the active position.
- Take both earbuds out of the case and place them in your ears. Hold down the touch control on each earbud for five seconds until you hear the beep.
- Return to the Bluetooth settings page on your macOS device. The Sony wireless earbuds should have popped up under the list of available devices. Select them and click connect to start the pairing process.
And again, make sure that the device is not in airplane mode, also don’t keep the devices more than 30ft apart.
Pairing Sony WF-1000XM4s to Windows Devices
The following steps use Windows 10 and 11. But, you can apply them to older versions of the operating system as well.
- Power on the computer or laptop. Next, open Settings on the Start menu or by using the search function. To open the start menu, click on the Windows icon on the taskbar. Alternatively, you can simply press the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Look for the small gear icon located above the power button on the far right of the screen. Click on it to open the Settings menu. You can also type the word “settings” in the search option in the Start menu, and the search function will show the proper application.
- In the Settings menu, open the Devices category by clicking on it. By default, the page with the Bluetooth setting will be open.
- Remove the Sony WF-1000Xm4 earbuds from the charging case and place them in your ears. Hold down the touch control on each earbud for at least five seconds, and wait until you hear the beep.
- Return to the Bluetooth settings menu on your computer/laptop. Click on the + symbol to add a new Bluetooth connection. Your Windows device will begin searching for Bluetooth devices in the area. Be sure to keep the earbuds within pairing distance (around 30ft).
- Click on the Sony WF-1000XMs when they appear on the list of available devices. This will begin the pairing process.
Once more, if you are having trouble with your pairing, make sure that Airplane mode is not turned on and keep the earbuds close enough to the device.
After the initial pairing, you should be able to automatically connect to the Windows device the moment you take the earbuds out of the charging case.
Looking for Some Great Sony Earphones?
Well, then take a look at our detailed Sony WH-CH700N Review, our Sony WF-1000XM3 Review, our Sony WH-1000XM2 Review, our Sony WF-C500 Truly Wireless Earbuds Review, and our Sony WH-CH710N Review for more excellent items currently on the market.
Also, check out our in-depth reviews of the Best Noise Isolating Earbuds, the Best Sound Quality Earbuds, the Most Comfortable Earbuds, the Best Bass Earbuds, the Best True Wireless Earbuds, the Best iPhone Earbuds, and the Best Earbuds for Running you can buy in 2022.
How to Pair Sony WF-1000XM4 – Final Thoughts
There you have it, everything you need to know about pairing Sony’s 1000XM4 earbuds to various devices. Hopefully, this guide has been helpful, and you’re now jamming along to your favorite tunes with a huge smile on your face!
Until next time, happy listening.