Who doesn’t love to unleash their inner rock star by sliding along the floor on your knees with a plastic guitar strapped around them? The Rock Star series of games allowed us all to live out that fantasy with a huge sense of immersion.
By holding the corresponding buttons on the neck of the guitar controller and “strumming” at the correct time, it feels like you’re really playing along. There is a massive library of songs along with additional tracks available for download.
But, first of all, you need to know how to connect Rock Band guitar to PS4.
Using Older Rock Band Guitars
I have some good news for many of you out there. If you still have all your older Rock Band instruments from the PS3 version, they will still work on the PS4. All you need is the PS3 dongle (that little plastic box with a short USB plug).
Finding a Rock Band 3 guitar might be a little more difficult if you don’t already own one. There are examples available on the second-hand market, or you might even get lucky and find a new one. If purchasing second hand, it’s extremely important to make sure the dongle is included as it won’t work without it.
I have included a link with some available options, which is current at this time. There is even a new version available at the time of writing. This is probably the best Rock Band 3 controller option because it is backward compatible and will work with PS2, PS3, and PS4.
This particular controller is fully licensed and based on the legendary Fender Stratocaster. It looks just like the real thing giving an authentic experience. There are five buttons at the bottom of the neck, along with five at the top for fast solo shredding.
Connecting a PS3 Rock Band guitar controller…
By plugging the PS3 dongle into one of your PS4’s USB ports, you can then sync the controller to the system. I have included these step-by-step instructions on connecting a rock band guitar controller to a PS4.
- Make sure that the guitar controller has a fresh set of batteries.
- Ensure the dongle is connected to one of your PS4’s USB ports.
- Turn on your PS4 and run the Rock Band 4 game.
- Press and hold the PlayStation button on your guitar controller until the red light surrounding it blinks slowly. The button is usually found near the D-pad.
- At the same time, press the sync button on the dongle along with the small wireless button on the guitar controller. This is usually found near the amp plug.
- If completed successfully, the red light should start blinking quickly, indicating the pairing process is underway. Once the light remains on steady, the process is complete.
- If the red light returns to blinking slowly, attempt holding the dongle sync button and controller’s wireless button at the same time again.
- Once the controller is synced, you can press the start button and begin to ROCK!
Connecting a Rock Band 4 Guitar Controller
The Rock Band 4 guitar controller doesn’t require a dongle and relies on Bluetooth wireless technology. For some reason, the Rock Band 4 game is much easier to come across than the Rock Band 4 guitar controller.
You might have picked up a physical copy of the game from your local store and will need to source a controller from somewhere else. Getting hold of a Rock Band 4 guitar controller is also like finding a hen’s teeth. I have included a link for an available controller at the time of writing, but hurry up because it won’t last long.
The Rock Band 4 wireless guitar controller follows the same design as Rock Band 3. It is also a fully licensed Fender Stratocaster replica with all the same features along with some further convenient upgrades.
Besides utilizing Bluetooth and not requiring a dongle, there is a redesigned tilt sensor making activating overdrive even easier. Also, this is a Rock Band guitar controller compatible with Rock Band VR on the Oculus Rift for the ultimate immersive experience.
Connecting a PS4 Rock Band guitar controller…
Connecting a Rock Band 4 controller to a PS4 involves completing the Bluetooth pairing process via the PS4 settings menu. It is fairly straightforward, and I have included the step-by-step instructions on how to connect Rock Band Guitar to PS4.
- Make sure your Rock Band 4 guitar controller has a fresh set of batteries.
- Turn on your PS4 and wait until the home screen appears.
- From the home screen, navigate to Settings > Devices > Bluetooth Devices.
- Press and hold the PlayStation button on the Rock Band 4 guitar controller. This is usually located near the D-pad.
- The PlayStation symbol will start blinking with blue light, indicating that it’s waiting to be paired.
- Press and hold the “Sync” button on the Rock Band 4 guitar controller until the light begins to flash blue and red. The Sync button can usually be found where the amp plug would be on the controller.
- Your Rock Band 4 guitar controller should appear in the on-screen list of Bluetooth devices shortly after. Navigate to and select the controller.
- A setup wizard will appear asking, “Do you want to connect the controller?” Select “Yes.”
- The controller must also be assigned to a profile, or else it will not work.
- To confirm the controller has paired successfully, the light will remain on in a steady color. You can now begin to ROCK!
Interested in Guitars?
We can help you find the perfect one. Check out our in-depth reviews of the Best Electric Guitar For Beginners, the Best Jasmine Guitars, the Best Alvarez Guitar, the Best Acoustic Guitars For Beginners, the Best Beginner Electric Guitar Packages, and the Best Classical Guitars you can buy in 2023.
You may also enjoy our reviews of the Best Acoustic Guitars Under $300, the Best Acoustic Guitars Under $500, the Best Acoustic Travel Guitars, the Best Blues Guitars, the Best Jazz Guitars, the Best Hollow And Semi-Hollow Guitars, and the Best Guitars For Small Hands currently on the market.
How to Connect Rock Band Guitar to PS4 – Conclusion
You now should be able to connect your Rock Band guitar controller successfully to your PS4. No matter if you have the previous generation controller or the current one, you are sure to enjoy playing this game.
If you’ve never played one of these style games before, you’ll certainly become addicted within a short space of time. Have fun not only listening to great tracks but actually being a part of the experience.
It’s now time to Rock out! Enjoy!!!