The iPhone is one of the most advanced, user-friendly, and popular smartphones on the planet. Likewise, the range of wireless speakers from JBL is among the most popular in their field as well. It would therefore make sense that many users would love to combine these two wonderful products.
Luckily, it’s as easy as can be, thanks to the simple design of these devices. So, I decided to take a look at how to connect JBL speakers to iPhone. Whether it’s a Flip, JBL Charge, JBL Extreme, or JBL Boombox, the process is nearly the same.
- Connecting any JBL to an iPhone via Bluetooth
- Creating a Wired Connection Between a JBL Speaker and an iPhone
- JBL Speaker Not Connecting to iPhone – Fixes
- How To Connect JBL Speakers To iPhone – FAQs
- Have Other JBL Speaker Questions?
- How To Connect JBL Speakers To iPhone – Final Thoughts
Connecting any JBL to an iPhone via Bluetooth
As mentioned, most models will have similar pairing procedures. So, just follow these steps, and you should be able to pair your JBL speaker and your iPhone in no time.
Step 1 – Activate Bluetooth on your JBL speaker
Let’s start by powering on the Bluetooth speaker. Most JBL models will automatically go into Bluetooth pairing mode when the speaker is turned on. This depends on whether the speaker has been connected to any other devices before.
Pairing mode is indicated by a flashing LED indicator. If the speaker doesn’t enter Bluetooth pairing mode automatically, then simply press and hold the Bluetooth button to engage pairing mode.
If the speaker has been paired with another device before, then it will automatically want to connect to that when the speaker is turned on. In this case, you will also need to engage in pairing mode manually by holding down the Bluetooth button for a few seconds until the light starts flashing.
Step 2 – Activate Bluetooth on your iPhone and pair it with a speaker
Now that the speaker is turned on and waiting for a Bluetooth connection, you need to give it a source device to connect to. Open the settings app on your iPhone and go to Bluetooth. Alternatively, you can press and hold the Bluetooth icon on the Control panel as a shortcut to the Bluetooth settings menu.
Make sure that the Bluetooth toggle is in the active position. Once Bluetooth is turned on, you will see the JBL speaker pop up under the list of available devices. Tap on the JBL speaker to engage the pairing process between the two devices.
Step 3 – Verify Bluetooth connection
Now that you’ve got the two devices all paired up, it’s time to see if you’ve done it correctly. Simply start playing some audio or a video from your iPhone. Also, make sure the volume on the phone and the speaker are turned up to a moderate level.
However, if you experience any problems with your setup, there are several things you can try. One of the most popular would be to perform a factory reset on the speaker. Regardless of which JBL model you have, the process should be pretty much the same.
Creating a Wired Connection Between a JBL Speaker and an iPhone
In addition to using Bluetooth to connect a JBL speaker and iPhone, you can use the good old-fashioned auxiliary cable. This is sometimes also referred to as a 3.5m or headphones jack.
Most JBL speakers have an Auxiliary port that allows for wired connections to an iPhone. Here’s how to get it done:
- Take a3.5m auxiliary cable, this may come with your iPhone or your speaker, or you can use one from a third party.
- Look for the Auxiliary port on the back of your JBL speaker. It will be located next to the USB port, which is for the charging cable.
- Lift the rubber covering over the hole and insert the cable. If you are unsure, it is the port that looks like the port you plug your earphones into on your iPhone.
- Plug the other end of the Auxiliary cable into the headphones jack on your iPhone.
- Test the connection by turning on the speaker and playing some audio. Make sure that the volume is turned up on both the iPhone and the speaker.
- If the device doesn’t produce audio, make sure to check the battery levels and the cable. Also, check that the connection has been made properly.
JBL Speaker Not Connecting to iPhone – Fixes
Sometimes, you may have a problem connecting JBL speakers and iPhones. In these cases, there are a few fixes that you can try, and one of them ought to be able to solve your problem.
- Start by performing a reset on the speaker. Do this by holding down the Volume+ and the Bluetooth button at the same time. Release the buttons after a few seconds when you hear an audio tone.
- If the reset method doesn’t do anything, make sure to check the literature for your specific model to find out what the process for resetting it is.
- Double-check that Bluetooth is activated on both devices and that you have followed the steps for pairing the devices correctly.
- Restart your iPhone, and also try forgetting all the devices on the Bluetooth settings page.
- Open the setting app on your iPhone and then, navigate to Bluetooth, then tap on your JBL speaker and then tap on forget. After this, try re-pairing the two devices.
- Make sure that your JBL speaker is not already connected to another device.
- Check the battery level on your JBL speaker. Sometimes, a low battery level can cause connection issues.
- Make sure that the two devices are within pairing distance. This should be around 30 feet at most.
- Turn off the Bluetooth connection on all your nearby devices to ensure that nothing interfered with your pairing attempts.
How To Connect JBL Speakers To iPhone – FAQs
Here are some of the most common questions about pairing JBL speakers to iPhones.
Why doesn’t my JBL speaker show in the devices list on my iPhone?
The most common reasons are that the speaker’s battery is flat or that it is not in pairing mode and has never been paired to this particular phone before.
Ensure the speaker enters pairing mode by watching for the blinking light. Next, make double sure that Bluetooth on the iPhone is activated. If all else fails, try performing a restart on both devices.
Can I pair multiple JBL speakers together using the same iPhone?
There are three different protocols developed by JBL to connect their speakers. These are Connect, Connect+, and PatyBoost.
If the speakers that you own all use the same connection protocol, then you can link them up using the same iPhone and use them as one combined speaker system. If they do not share the same connection protocol, then it cannot be done.
Are all JBL speakers compatible with an iPhone?
Yes, all JBL speaker models can be used with iPhones, iPads, and Android devices. As well as Mac and Windows machines. Pretty much anything with Bluetooth will do. On some of the latest JBL models, you can even use Siri via the built-in microphone.
Why Bluetooth isn’t working on my iPhone
Start by clearing our Bluetooth devices list. You do this by forgetting every device you’ve ever paired to. Next, try restarting the phone completely. Disconnect from all devices and then try reconnecting again.
If this doesn’t work, check that your OS is up to date and perform an update if it isn’t. If all else fails, then you need to try contacting Apple support.
Does Apple make wireless speakers?
Yes, they manufacture a HomePod mini speaker. It has all the latest features, including the ability to integrate with Siri. It is stylish and powerful for its size, and it can even control other appliances. There are also built-in security features, and the Homepod will work with all Apple devices.
Have Other JBL Speaker Questions?
If so, take a look at our handy articles on Why Is My JBL Speaker Not Charging, How Do I Reset My JBL Speaker, Why Won’t My JBL Headphones Connect to My iPhone, How to Pair JBL Speakers and Headphones, and What JBL Speakers Can Connect for more useful information.
Also, check out our in-depth JBL Xtreme 2 Review, our JBL Clip 4 Review, our JBL Flip 5 Review, our JBL Charge 5 Review, and our JBL E55BT Review for more great JBL items you can buy in 2023.
How To Connect JBL Speakers To iPhone – Final Thoughts
There you have it, an all-in-one guide for getting JBL speakers connected to an iPhone. No matter which model you own, the process is simple and fast. And, within minutes, you can jam along to your favorite song or get lost in your favorite podcast.
Until next time, good luck, and happy listening.